In this section, participants responded to the following prompt: Reflect on a specific event or moment from the past year of your life (happy, sad, frustrating, enlightening, inspiring, etc.). Share that experience.
Participants may have responded to one of the prompts below.
- Have your feelings or perspective on the pandemic changed since stay-at-home orders were issued in March 2020?
- What plans did you cancel? Were you disappointed or relieved?
- What has been the single greatest change you’ve experienced in the past year?
- What has been the biggest surprise? (For example, is there something you miss greatly that you didn’t realize you’d miss; or perhaps something you’ve found great joy in that surprises you?)
- How have you handled the transition to an indefinite work-from-home situation? (Do you love the freedom of not being on a strict “on-the-clock” schedule? Do you hate it? Do you miss in-person meetings? Do you prefer Zoom?)
- If you’re originally from somewhere outside Santa Clara County, how do you feel about the way your hometown/home state or country handled the pandemic? Was it better or worse, in your opinion, than how the Bay Area has done things?
- Did you try any new hobbies?
- What was your greatest achievement of 2020?
- If you are an essential worker, what does it feel like to work on a mostly empty campus?
- How has the pandemic affected your or your family’s employment status? Have you lost your job or felt threatened by furloughs? Has the pandemic opened up a new type of work for you?
- For class of 2020: What was it like to unexpectedly finish your senior year online?
- For class of 2024: What has it been like to conduct your first year of college online?
- What has your experience with housing on campus or around campus been like during the pandemic? Did you have to leave your dorm suddenly in Spring 2020, or are you using emergency housing?
- Are you excited to get the vaccine, or are you skeptical?
I Stayed, They Went, Anonymous
Pandemic Pondering: A Poem, Jesica S. Fernandez
Pickles, Leslie Griffy
A Walk During the Pandemic: Artpiece, Tim J. Myers
Friends, Leslie Griffy
Indoor Cat, Judith Rodriguez
48 Hours, Nadia Nasr
A Nation of Pride, Sunkyo Chung
An Extended Vacation, Trizha Loren Aquino
A return to the family dinners we never had, Theresa Conefrey
Blurred Memories, Anonymous
Closer to Fine, Julia Claire Santos
Deep Reflection, Anonymous
Election day, Anonymous
Ending a Chapter, Katrina Rudd
Finding the Silver lining, Anonymous
Flying the Plane You're Building, Deborah Lohse
Home, Chan Thai
How do you teach a lab course under COVID-19 restrictions?, Nataliya Starostina
Learning to Pay Attention, Anonymous
"Let's not screw this up", Anonymous
Lost Time, Anonymous
No Hugs, Sandra Jamaleddine
One Fateful Day in March, Anonymous
On Losing A Best Friend, Samantha Prasad
Passion Project Comes to Fruition Thanks to the Pandemic, Ricardo Cortez
Reflections of 2020, Surya Kiran Udaya Kumar
Senior Year, Anonymous
Spring Quarter on Campus, Anonymous
The 6 o'clock, Kelci Baughman McDowell
The Baby Bump Nobody Saw, Cindy Nguy
The Cough Drop, Kathleen V. Schneider
Untitled, Michelle Burnham
Waiting In Quarantine, Maya Matheny
Yes and..., Anonymous